Saturday, August 4, 2007

Adu to Benfica, Smith to Newcastle

What a big day for transfers! Carlos Tevez has been cleared to sign for Manchester United (although officially he has yet to do so), Portuguese team Benfica have signed Freddy Adu (I know that wasn't today, but bare with me), and Alan Smith and Claudio Cacapa have made the trip to Gallowgate!

Ok, Carlos Tevez. He's a great player, don't get me wrong. But is he really worth all of this fuss? I honestly don't think so, but we'll see.

I think it's fantastic news that Freddy Adu has left the country! To be honest, I think his ability has been played up a little too much, but he's a fantastic young player, and the news that he is finally in Europe is great for his development. I still think he'll eventually end up at Man U, albeit maybe 5 or 6 years later.

...and finally, ALAN SMITH! He's at Newcastle! I think he'll be great. In my management sim, Worldwide Soccer Manager 2007, or Football Manager 07, I had signed him because I needed a good striker when Michael Owen got injured (not from England duty, after that). After Owen returned to full fitness, it was Obafemi Martins that took his seat on the bench, because Smith continued to play so well that I ended up playing an Owen-Smith partnership up front. By the way, I did know about him and like him before I signed him in FM. That's why I signed him in the first place.
As for Claudio Cacapa, I honestly hadn't heard of him until today. But he's done well for Lyon, so he'll probably do well at United. At 32, though, I don't think he'll be in Sam Allardyce's first choice 11. Probably a sub.

And in last minute news, Manchester City have signed Fiorentina's Bulgarian striker
Valeri Bojinov. Well done, Sven-Goren Eriksson. You've got yourself a great signing. I signed him in both FIFA 07 and FM, and he was great in both.

No comments: